Amuse

Musings of a modern day bluestocking.

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Monday, November 13, 2006

Marie Antoinette


I have always loved director Sofia Coppola. From the very first time I saw the trailer for The Virgin Suicides, I was fan. With its dreamy music by Air and its riveting portrayal of the relationships between sisters trapped in a suffocating household, I was captivated. I was also moved by Sofia's second foray into directing with Lost in Translation. Her portrayal of female complexity and dilemma is unequaled in Hollywood. I approached her latest film, Marie Antoinette, with some trepidation. I was excited by Coppola's return to Kirsten Dunst as a muse, but was hesitant about the subject matter. Roundly booed by the French at Cannes, the film dismissed by some critics as "cotton candy." Filmed on location in Versailles, the film was a visual feast. So much so, it was jarring when Dunst actually spoke. Filled with etiquette, champagne, shoes, and sweets, the film follows the rise and fall of Marie Antoinette. I was touched by Dunst's performance and felt her depiction of the queen to be sympathetic. Beautifully shot with a compelling subject, I would highly recommend Coppola's latest film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home