Amuse

Musings of a modern day bluestocking.

Name:
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Saturday, November 25, 2006

A collection of philosophical vignettes


I like a philosopher who can make me think and make me laugh. I discovered this preference during my freshman year of college as I tittered my way through Voltaire's L'Ingenu in the original French. While scanning my sister's bookshelves for something I had not yet read, I came across The Heart of Things: Applying Philosophy to the 21st Century by A.C. Grayling, a British professor of philosophy. Filled with short philosophical vignettes on various subjects and current events, the book is thought provoking and the author's wry commentary is quite funny at times. The book is peppered with fantastic quotes from various historical figures. A mix of references to pop culture and great thinkers The Heart of Things makes light reading out of a dense subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home